- 100g egg whites (approx. 3 large eggs)
- pinch of salt
- 100g caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- pink, blue and yellow food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 80°C/175°F/Gas Mark ¼. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt into the bowl of an electric mixer and start whisking at high speed. As the egg whites start stiffening, slowly sprinkle the caster (superfine) sugar into the mix. Stop whisking as the meringue becomes stiff and glossy.
- Add the vanilla extract and slowly fold the icing (confectioners’) sugar into the meringue mixture using a rubber spatula. Separate the meringue mix into three equal parts; keep the first white, mix the second with pastel pink and the third with blue and yellow for a pastel aqua shade.
- Place a star nozzle into each piping bag and fill each one with a different color meringue mixture. Pipe little rosettes onto the prepared baking trays and place in the oven for between 2-3 hours, or until they have fully dried out.
- Store in a dry, airtight container. If stored correctly, they will keep for up to three months.